This section of the site will contain as many as possible place-names from the classical
sources, like Ptolemy (Ptol.), Strabo (Strab.), Pliny (Plin.), and the guide-books
of the late antiquity. Other minor sources are Herodotus (Her.), Titus Livius (Liv.),
Stephanus of Byzantium (Steph. Byz.), Tacitus (Tac.), Pomponius Mela (Mel.), etc.
The place-names are presented in their best attested, latinized form. The single page will
include a short description of the place, the variants of the name, and a
section on the etymology, that is opened to any comments, suggestions etc.
For better navigation, the place-names are grouped in some links pages (see below), corresponding more or less
to the provinces of the Roman Empire or their major subdivisions.
The links will be active when the single pages will be inserted.
List of toponyms
- Gallia Transpadana (44 entries) inserted May 18, 2004
- Liguria (57 entries) inserted January 15, 2004
- Gallia Cispadana (40 entries) inserted October 1, 2004
- Etruria (73 entries) inserted August 22, 2002
- Latium (105 entries) inserted September 15, 2002
- Campania (61 entries) inserted October 12, 2002
- Lucania (37 entries) inserted January 9, 2003
- Bruttium (53 entries) inserted February 23, 2003
- Peucetia et Calabria (49 entries) inserted November 30, 2002
- Hirpinia et Daunia (49 entries) inserted November 12, 2002
- Samnium (87 entries) inserted May 20, 2002
- Picenum (34 entries) inserted June 8, 2002
- Umbria (53 entries) inserted July 11, 2002
- Venetia et Histria (83 entries) inserted February 10, 2005
- Pannonia (102 entries) inserted
- Illyria (108 entries) inserted August 29, 2005
- Epirus (113 entries) inserted August 21, 2011